Woman saved from burning building by Nottinghamshire firefighters
A Nottinghamshire woman trapped inside a burning building was saved by the actions of 999 controllers and firefighters.
At around 9.25pm last Friday (June 23) a call came in to Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service from a woman trapped inside a downstairs room, unable to escape as a fire raged in the kitchen.
While firefighters from Edwinstowe and Warsop, as well as firefighters from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, hurried to the scene in Iveagh Close, off The Burns in Warsop, the resident was talked to by the brigade’s control room.
She was given fire survival guidance while trapped inside the building, before a crew wearing breathing equipment entered and led her to safety.
The woman was then treated from smoke inhalation.
Edwinstowe watch manager Gary Wilson, who was the incident commander, said: “When we arrived we could see smoke coming out of the windows.
“We were aware there was somebody in there so I immediately committed two firefighters into the house to affect a rescue.
“Fortunately we knew where the woman was, so the team was able to get in there and quickly bring her out for treatment, before going back in to extinguish the fire.”
The incident had been dealt with by 10pm.
It is believed that the fire started accidentally in the kitchen and, apart from the occupant, nobody else was injured.
Gary said: “The team, including our fantastic fire control operators, did a great job and I hope the woman has a good recovery.
“By calling us out, via 999, she did exactly the right thing and I would definitely urge anybody who has a fire in their home to get out, stay out, and call the fire service.”