Residents evacuated from homes in city centre high-rise building after flat fire

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident at Crusader House in Thurland Street

Fire crews tackled a flat fire in a high rise building in the city centre tonight (Tuesday, September 5).

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to the incident at Crusader House in Thurland Street at 7.55pm on Tuesday, September 5.

They were met by residents evacuating the premises.

The fire had taken hold of a bedroom on the second floor and firefighters at the scene said it could have been started by candles.

Two fire engines from London Road, one from West Bridgford and another from Carlton were called to the deal with the incident.

The fire service said the fire was in a mezzanine apartment within the high rise building, which consists of both commercial and residential units.

Three people are believed to live in the apartment and were alerted to the blaze by a fire alarm.

Crusader House, Thurland Street, Nottingham

Watch manager from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, Bruce Keeling told the Post: “We were informed en-route that it was a fire and were met by people evacuating the premises.

“We were informed by the apartment occupant there was a fire and it was on the second floor. We waited for the third and fourth fire engine to get here – the occupants had closed the door of the apartment to stop the fire spreading.

“The fire was restricted to the upper mezzanine, it was in the bedroom, and the bed was well alight.

“Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus with jets entered and extinguished the fire. All occupants were safely evacuated. There are a lot of flats in the building.

“Due to smoke, heat and water damage the flat is unhabitable. I believe it [the cause of the fire] to be candles.

“We would urge people if they do use candles do not leave them unattended and to have a working smoke alarm.”

The fire was extinguished at 8.45pm, but one fire engine still remains at the scene.

Residents of the other flats within the building were allowed back into the property after the fire was extinguished.