Fire Service personnel on the scene on Monday evening

Fire Service personnel on the scene on Monday evening

A popular Ardrossan restaurant caught fire late on Monday evening but there was no substantial damage thanks to quick thinking members of the public.

The Rowantree Restaurant and Garden Centre on North Shore Road caught fire shortly after 8.30pm after suspected issues with one of the air conditioning units but numerous phone calls to the emergency services meant that the fire was dealt with within minutes and the restaurant was left intact.

David Castlevecchi, owner of the restaurant, spoke to the Herald and expressed his gratitude to those who phoned 999, he said: “The fire started in the back of the building. The air conditioning in the refuge area seems to have caught fire. Luckily it was nothing serious.

“They’re not 100 per cent sure what caused the fire but it hasn’t damaged anything. A member of the public spotted the fire and phoned the fire brigade, which was absolutely fantastic of them.”

The restaurant wasn’t open at the time of the incident and nobody was hurt after some rubbish and a small part of the roof caught fire too.

David added: “We were closed at the time. We’re just relieved that the member of the public had spotted it because it could have been much worse.

“It was lucky they did that because it saved the fire from spreading into the main building which could have been disastrous. It had been my afternoon off. I was worrying about what I was going to see when I went down but it was ok.”

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received several 999 calls around 8.45pm reporting a fire at a restaurant in North Shore Road and sent two fire engines in response.

“Firefighters reached the scene within three minutes of being mobilised.

“They discovered a fire at the back of the building and immediately moved to tackle it with a team in breathing apparatus using high pressure jets.

“The fire involved air conditioning units, refuse and a small section of the roof. No-one was hurt.

“Our crews checked to ensure there was no hidden fire spread by using a thermal imaging camera before leaving the scene at 10.55pm.”