Nightclub evacuated after washing machine catches fire

Opal Lounge: Firefighters tackled basement blaze (file pic). Google 2017

An Edinburgh nightclub was evacuated after a washing machine caught fire in its basement.

The blaze broke out at Opal Lounge on George Street at about 8.40pm on Sunday night.

Five fire engines were sent to the scene and firefighters used hose jets to extinguish the blaze.

Nobody is believed to have been injured but George Street was shut for some time.

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 8.52pm on Sunday, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to reports of a fire within a commercial property on George Street, Edinburgh.

“A total of five appliances were immediately mobilised and firefighters used high powered hoses to extinguish the flames.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was made safe.”