Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service issue fire safety message following two tumble dryer fires over the weekend

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended two fires caused by tumble dryers over the weekend.

JS78580534

On Friday, at 11.40 pm, crews from Reynoldston and Swansea West were called to a property fire in Reynoldston.

The fire was confined to the kitchen of the property. Firefighters extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet, two breathing apparatus and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The fire service left the incident at 12.40 am.

The second incident occurred on Sunday, at 12.03 am, when firefighters from Neath attended a property fire in Rhyddings.

The small fire was confined to the kitchen and extinguished before the arrival of the fire crews. Having carried out and investigation the fire aervice found that the fire had originated from the tumble dryer. A hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera was used by the firefighters.

The ambulance service was in attendance.

Firefighters left the incident at 12.45 am.

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service urge the public to abide by the following advice:

Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the use and maintenance of the appliance

Clean the lint trap after every use – the build-up of lint or fluff can cause fires

Don’t overload plug sockets – the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13 amp socket.

Don’t leave appliances unattended – don’t turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot.

Don’t ignore warning signs – If you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of cycle, have your appliance checked out.

Don’t overload your tumble dryer or put items in that have been used to soak up flammable liquids, including cooking oil.

General fire safety advice in the home

Working smoke alarms save lives – Make sure you have smoke alarms correctly fitted and that you test the alarms regularly, we recommend once a week.

Make sure you and your family have a bedtime routine that makes sure your home is safe

Have an escape plan for your family in case a fire does occur

If a fire does occur, get out of the property as quickly as possible. Smoke can be extremely toxic particularly where electrical appliances are involved and just a few breaths can be lethal.

Don’t go back into the house to save possessions.

Advice on home safety and free home fire safety checks is available from your local fire and rescue service. Contact them through the websites below or by calling 0800 169 1234 for more information.

http://www.mawwfire.gov.uk