Kent firefighters have issued this warning after crews tackled a chimney fire near Ashford

Fire crews had to use specialist chimney gear to tackle the blaze

Fire crews had to use specialist chimney gear to tackle the blaze

Firefighters tackled a blaze in Charing, near Ashford, after a chimney breast caught fire yesterday evening.

Fire crews were called to an emergency at a property in Bowl Road at around 5.30pm where they spent an hour using specialist equipment to put the fire out.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Firefighters used chimney gear to tackle a fire in a chimney breast in Bowl Road, Charing.

“Kent Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents with open fires to have their chimneys swept regularly to avoid a build up of soot which would cause a fire, and to only burn suitable fuel.”