House damaged by ‘candles’ on Christmas tree

Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Credit: Eddie Mitchell

An elderly couple lost their home to fire on Christmas Day after real candles on their tree turned it into a catastrophic ball of flame. The couple in their 80s were demonstrating traditional candles to their grandchildren when the tree caught fire around 1pm at Durrington Hill in Worthing.

Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Credit: Eddie Mitchell

Area commander Adrian Murphy of West Sussex Fire and Rescue said the Christmas tree fire resulted in the total loss of the bungalow. “If you catch a Christmas tree on fire, they are spectacular,” Cmdr Murphy said. “They turn into a huge ball of fire. It would have involved the whole room very quickly.”

One pump in still in attendance Credit: Eddie Mitchell

One pump in still in attendance Credit: Eddie Mitchell

The grandparents were treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns before being taken to Worthing hospital. West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were unable to confirm the cause of the fire.