Glasgow scrapyard fire extinguished after 20-hour operation

A major scrapyard blaze that sent plumes of black smoke into the air and cut off power to thousands of homes has been extinguished.


The fire near Glasgow’s Ibrox Stadium broke out at about 4.30pm on Sunday and saw crews working through the night to bring it under control.

The final firefighting team left the scene just after midday on Monday, meaning the total operation to combat the flames took about 20 hours.

When the incident was at its peak on Sunday, smoke billowing from the blaze could be seen rising above the city from 40 miles away.

About 50 firefighters were involved in tackling the inferno at its height.

The flames had engulfed a building about 100 metres by 40 metres before spreading to a large yard full of tyres.

A number of aerial appliances, a control unit and a high volume pump were among the units that had been dispatched to aid the firefighting effort.

During the initial stages of the incident, water reportedly had to be pumped from the River Clyde to douse the flames and hoses were laid a kilometre (0.6 miles) through nearby streets.

Power also had to be shut off to 3,000 properties in the Govan area on Sunday as a precaution after the fire broke out very close to a substation.

Electricity was restored to customers at 9.50pm that night, Scottish Power said.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said the “significant” blaze was brought under control during the early hours of Monday.

The incident was then gradually scaled down, leaving crews to dampen down any remaining hotspots. They, too, have now left the scene.

Station manager Gregg McKearney, the incident commander, said: “Our crews have worked tirelessly to bring this fire under control.”

SP Energy Networks tweeted on Monday: “Thank you to our customers in Govan for your patience and understanding last night due to the fire very close to our substation.”

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Peter Heath of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “This was a significant and very serious fire that was rapidly growing and issuing noxious smoke.

“It was not only a very serious but a potentially dangerous fire with the possibility to cause harm.

“The affected building was essentially bounded on three sides by risk.

“At the rear there was a railway line, at one side there was a commercial unit with many businesses and, on the opposite side, an electrical substation supplying power to a significant part of Glasgow as well as a hospital.

“We stopped the fire from reaching the substation however a fault was encountered and 3,000 homes were left without power.

“But we worked very hard with the electrical company to ensure power was restored as quickly as possible, and it was, after just two hours.

“Had that substation been involved then the incident could have been significantly far worse.”

Mr Heath added: “I want to take this opportunity to recognise the professionalism and commitment displayed by our firefighters whose swift actions brought this incident to a safe conclusion.”