Essex County Fire and Rescue issue warning after four pets die at kitchen fire in Brightlingsea

Officers at the Essex County Fire and Rescue service have warned the public not to leave stoves unattended after a kitchen blaze killed four pets.

Three crews were called to reports of a fire a house in Eastern Road, Brightlingsea, at 5.50pm on Wednesday (May 31).

Officers from Clacton, Brightlingsea and Wivenhoe attended and managed to extinguish it by 6.30pm.

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental and is believed to have caused by an electrical fault.

Sadly two cats and two rabbits perished as a result.

The house has also suffered some smoke and fire damage.

As more than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking, Essex County Fire and Rescue has issued cooking safety advice:

  • Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking on the hob.
  • Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
  • Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
  • Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire.
  • Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
  • Double check the cooker is off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
  • Keep electrics (leads and appliances) away from water.
  • Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order – a build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

If you would like to arrange for a free home safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge, then call on 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book