Elderly man found dead in suspected carbon monoxide incident in Lurgan

An elderly man has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at his home in Co Armagh.

Three fire appliances attended the scene and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found the man's body

Three fire appliances attended the scene and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found the man’s body

The body of Glyn Girvan (72), was discovered in a house in the Albert Street area of Lurgan on Sunday.

Three fire appliances attended the scene and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found the man’s body at around 10pm.

The fire and rescue service said carbon monoxide was detected in the property.

Fire crews and police sealed off the area and residents were told to stay indoors. An exclusion zone remained in place around the house for an hour afterwards.

A fire and rescue service spokesperson said: “We received a call from PSNI at 9.40pm on Sunday 4 December 2016 to attend an incident on Albert Street, Lurgan.

“Two fire appliances from Lurgan fire station and one fire appliance from Portadown fire station attended the incident.

“Wearing breathing apparatus firefighters entered the mid-terrace property and confirmed the presence of carbon monoxide.

“Tragically a man in his seventies had been confirmed dead at the scene. A 60m exclusion zone was put in place and residents in the area were advised to stay indoors.

“The property was ventilated and the incident was dealt with at 11.17pm.”

Police said on Monday night that they were “investigating the circumstances surrounding the sudden death of a man in the Albert Street area”. A post mortem is due to take place.

DUP assembly member Carla Lockhart expressed her sympathy following the man’s death.

“This is a very tragic incident and I want to express my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the pensioner who died on Sunday night,” she said.

“I understand the fire service attended the scene and I commend them for their swift response to the scene.

“This incident serves as a reminder to all of us to ensure our appliances are fitted safely and that they are regularly serviced.

“I would also encourage everyone to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in their homes, which will alert them of any harmful fumes which can easily go unnoticed.

“For the community this will be very sad news, particularly at this time of year.”