A woman was rescued from a roof after a discarded cigarette caused a house fire

The property in Hardres Street in Ramsgate was not fitted with working smoke alarms

A woman had to be rescued from the roof outside her bedroom window after a discarded cigarette sparked a blaze at her home in Ramsgate this morning (July 27).

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Hardres Street at 1.22am after receiving reports a first floor bedroom was on fire.

Firefighters pitched a 10 metre ladder to enable them to carry the woman, who was standing on the roof of a bay window, to the ground. Her adult son had managed to escape the property before crews arrived.

South East Coast Ambulance Service checked over the pair and the woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire which had been contained to the first floor bedroom.

A thermal imaging camera was used to check for heat spots and a special fan was used to clear smoke from the property, which had no working smoke alarms.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue added: “Crews removed damaged items to the garden and isolated the power and water. It is believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette.

“The remainder of the first floor was effected by smoke, the ground floor and basement suffered water damage due to a pipe failing during the fire.”