A couple were given oxygen after a fire in their Tunbridge Wells home

There was a fire in Granville Road, Tunbridge Wells

There was a fire in Granville Road, Tunbridge Wells

A couple had to be given oxygen therapy after a fire in their Tunbridge Wells home.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service were called to the blaze in Granville Road after receiving a 999 call shortly after 11pm last night (December 22).

A spokesman said: “Two fire engines were sent to the house but were delayed in getting to the property as they were unable to manoeuvre the fire engine safely between the parked vehicles.

“This resulted in crews having to lay out four lengths of hose reel down the road.

“A breathing apparatus team went into the property to find an item had been left too close to an electric hob and caught alight.

“A hose reel was used to extinguish the small fire and the occupants given oxygen therapy, before being handed into the care of the ambulance service.”

Firefighters left the scene shortly after 1am.

Firefighters left the scene shortly after 1am.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is asking all drivers to think carefully about where and how they park vehicles, especially over the festive period when there may be extra guests.

They ask people to park as close to the kerb as possible and take simple steps like straightening vehicle wheels. This allows emergency service vehicles to get through tight gaps as quickly and safely as possible.

The service will be available 24/7 throughout the holiday if needed. Anyone who does experience a fire should call 999.