Calling Smokers… It’s About Time!
I have heard so much about Stoptober on TV and radio programmes. I anticipate there are a lot of smokers feeling a failure because they are no longer the majority in their non-smoking group of friends and family.
“The cigarette does the smoking – you’re just the sucker”.
So why do you smoke? And why not? You feel you are getting something out of smoking … or at least you think you are.
The most common reasons people tell me are:-
“it relaxes me”, “I have time-out for myself when I smoke in the garden”, “I reward myself with a cigarette”, “smoking gives my confidence”, “I know I have finished my meal when I smoke”, “I smoke because I am bored”, “I want to be like my friends and the film stars”, “I have no willpower to stop”, etc.
“One thousand Americans stop smoking every day – by dying.”
What are the most common motivations to Stop … why now, what’s in it for you?
- Health and Family issues
- Wasting Money – it’s like asking for a £1K to £3K pay rise. Think what you can do with the money.
- Maybe you have current health problems or fear for the future.
- Perhaps you have recently discovered you are pregnant, just had a baby or wish to get pregnant and have a healthy baby.
- To always be there for your children and spend quality time with them.
- To take back control of your life and improve fitness.
- To improve breathing and fitness and perhaps lose that unpleasant cough and bad taste in the mornings.
- To travel freely as a non-smoker and not have to guiltily slide away for a smoke away from friends and family who hate it.
What is happening inside you when you smoke?
“Much smoking kills live men and cures dead swine.”
~George D. Prentice
There are over 4000 chemicals introduced to your body, over 40 known cancer causing. This then puts your body into sheer terror, the flight or fight response happens, this is the sympathetic nervous system we all use when feel we are in danger. The adrenalin is released, heart rate and blood pressure increase, carbon monoxide blocks out the oxygen intake and so it is a lethargy feeling that is mistaken as a relaxation. How can the body relax when it the autonomic nervous system has to fight the dangerous chemicals! This puts an enormous strain on the endocrine system and so other illnesses just don’t get sufficient help to heal. But I don’t want you to think about that too much, right now.
Many people do not realise that in the same research the NHS claims that clients are 4 times more likely to quit smoking than will power alone, in the same research, Hypnotherapy is 5 times more likely to help!
- Most people know that by stopping they will save thousands of pounds a year.
- Most people know that they could extend their active life.
And most people know that if they stop smoking right now, they could save their health – before it’s too late
Time is ticking
You don’t have to wait long for the benefits to start once you stop smoking. (Sourced from NHS information)
20 minutes: Your blood pressure and pulse return to normal.
8 hours: Nicotine (an insecticide) and carbon monoxide levels (like car fumes) in your blood are halved.
24 hours: Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from your body and your lungs will have started to clear out the tar that’s been clogging them up.
48 hours: No nicotine left in your body (so why take patches?). Your senses of taste and smell are greatly improved (Hypnotic suggestions given not to put on extra weight because the food tastes so good)
72 hours: Your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase (you are not having to fight off the 4,000 chemical compounds invading your body)
2-12 weeks: Your circulation improves and exercise can be easier.
3-9 months: Any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve.
“I tried to stop smoking cigarettes by telling myself I just didn’t want to smoke, but I didn’t believe myself”.
What’s involved? Well we work together to find a more healthy way to satisfy everything you think smoking does for you. Including:-
- You can learn a natural relaxation method that so very easy to use.
- You are encouraged to drink two litres of water a day for at least the next few weeks.
- You can re-imprint the decision you made to start smoking with far more fun and exciting activities than smoking.
- You can see yourself extremely successful in the future as a non-smoker and happy.
I have worked with many clients to achieve this in one session of up to two hours. I also offer a free follow-up service for three months for any clients who have had such a grotty life, so far, that the cigarette has been their only ‘friend’ through thick and thin times.
When you think about it you can’t afford NOT to stop smoking. Please phone me on 01234 852930 to convince me that you want to stop and then we can work together to that goal. No time-wasters please, you really have to want to stop smoking, I show you how you can.
Hypnotherapy/Counselling/Life Coaching can help.
Put your future in good hands – your own.
Please phone me on 01234 852930 if you need any help in coming to terms with anything I have written in this article or just need the help to be nudged into the healthier direction then please make contact. I also work with children from eight years old, they see me with a parent/adult in the same room.
© 2015 Joanne Waine DipCBT, DipCAH, DipSC, MNCH(Acc), SQHP, MPNLP, EFT-ADV.
Registered with Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council
National Council for Hypnotherapy
Enhanced Criminal Records Certified.
Calmpower Hypnotherapy & Counselling est. 1998
www.calmpower.com email: firstname.lastname@example.org text: 07702 469 999