England V Wales – Georgiou Fires England To Victory

England Fire Service Football Section 2014-15


Georgiou Fires England to Victory!

After a couple of disappointing performances and results, England were looking to get back on track in the rear-ranged LVP shield fixture against Wales. The match was played on a 3G surface at The Hereford Academy to rule out any chance of a late cancellation due to the weather. Manager Wayne Brown was missing due to work and so Rob Tonks took charge for the game. After losing to Wales last year, the squad were looking for an improvement against a Wales team who have been improving over the last few years. As usual, the game started in a physical manner, with both teams cancelling each other out in the early stages.

The new look England defence of McLurg, McManus, Stapleton and Boulton looked strong and keeper Hasler had little to do at first. England pressed well with Price and Swift working hard in the midfield, and slowly England began to cre-ate a few chances. Stapleton had two good headers cleared and Georgiou looked lively up front. Most of the game was played through the midfield with England lacking width to really test the Welsh defence on the wings. Despite having the best of the game, on 36 minutes, Price gave the ball away with a mistimed pass and the Welsh forward ran through to slot the ball past Hasler. England definitely didn’t deserve this!. HT 0-1

The message was clear for the second half…keep playing the same way…and England came out with real intent. With only 2 minutes gone, Chris Lock found himself on the end of a neat passing move and fired past the Welsh keeper to make it 1-1. No more than England deserved. Baker was introduced for Quantrill to add fresh legs and England continued to press the ball and create more chances. Wales still looked dangerous on the break but couldn’t find a way through. Then a two minute spell saw England take full control…Richard Georgiou fired past the keeper to give England the lead after Swift and Price created the chance before adding a second almost instantly from the kick off to all but end Wales interest in the game. Tonks replaced Boulton before Eng-land were able to comfortably see the game out for the victory. Man of the Match Andy McManus was a worthy choice after a solid display. The final fixture which will also be Manager Wayne Brown’s last game in charge is against Scotland in April.

Written by: Dave Gilbert – Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue