England V Scotland – Gritty England Give Boss A Final Victory

England Fire Service Football Section 2014-15


Gritty England give boss a final victory

Despite it being a home fixture for Scotland, the match was played at Berwick Rangers FC, the only English club playing in the Scottish league. The conditions were perfect for a great game of football and England Manager Wayne Brown rallied his troops be-fore kick off with the hope of going out of his managerial reign on a high note!

With several missing squad members, the team lacked strength in numbers, but a strong starting 11 were definitely up for a game. The Scots started in their usual marauding fashion, with the ball played about neatly in midfield. It wasn’t long before the first tackles went in as both teams started to settle. Hildred and Price were busy in the centre of midfield and started to run the game from there. Price doing the running and Hildred nonchalantly spraying the ball around the pitch. Oldham and Thompson were a constant threat going forward and got into some good positions early on. In fact after only 20 minutes, England won a free kick, almost thirty yards from goal which Thompson fancied. His direct effort looped over the keeper and into the net to give England the lead 1-0.

Hasler was called into action on a couple of occasions but dealt with his work comfortably and he marshalled the defence of McLurg, Tonks and the re-called Whelan and Wilkinson well. Sebuliba and Baker gave England width and a further attacking threat, Baker having his finest game for England so far. England pressed well and on 38 minutes, Hildred picked up the ball on the left and drove inside, riding several tackles before firing a venomous shot into the top corner. The referee did well to play the advantage and England were now in control of the game. HT 2-0 England knew that the Scots would come out firing on all cylinders in the second half and they did. Hasler was in fine form though, meeting every cross with a fist to keep the Scots at bay. On a big pitch, the second half was still played at a good pace and despite several chances, neither team could find a way through to change the score-line. Tyne & Wear’s Keith Foster was introduced late on to give fresh legs and he did well. In the end, England looked comfortable as they ran out 2-0 winners and the LVP shield returned south of the border for the first time in several years.

A great result for England and a sweet finish to a lengthy England career for Player and Manager Wayne Brown. Wayne was presented with gifts from the England section and players after the match as the team headed to Newcastle for post match victory celebrations.

Tags: FireSport UK,